Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lesson 4 Unit 1 Choice 3

Here is my first of two posts for this lesson.
I chose Choice 3: Romans 6. Baptism

1. Review Romans 6:1-13 and answer the following questions:
  • What must be done with sin before baptism can occur?
    • Sin must be forsaken and acquitted before baptism-v. 4 and v. 6
  • What events from Christ's life are symbolized in baptism?
    • The events from Christ's life that are symbolized in baptism are his death, burial and his resurrection.
  • Considering this symbolism, why couldn't someone be baptized by sprinkling?
    • I hate to use this comparison but it helps me understand: In 'The Princess Bride" Miracle Max (or what ever his name is) talks about how Wesley is "nearly dead". I think about this because there is no way you can be nearly dead, when you die, you stop living and your body is buried in the ground. Just like baptism, you can not be nearly baptized, you must forsake your natural, carnal man, and be buried completely in the water.
  • What do these verses teach us about how we can maintain the "newness of life"
    • These verses teach us about how we can maintain the "newness of life" by continuing to forsake our sins and live with Christ. I think about the Sacrament every Sunday and how it is like baptism in that I am renewing my covenants and repenting of sins.
2. Study Romans 6:14-23. Write a paragraph that describes how we know whose servant we are. Then write identifying the true source of freedom.
  • We are servants to whoever we obey. In other words, if we are caught up in sin, addiction, and the ways of the world, then we are servants to those things. However, if we chose to live righteously and make covenants with the Lord,we are His servant. I think "servant" has a bad connotation; most people think of slaves rather than servants and there is a difference. To be a slave means that you serve your master but you also have no rights, no property, and most importantly no choice. To be a servant means that you serve a master but you do have the right to serve him or not. Also, along with choosing to serve the Lord, you gain freedom from sin and eternal life. I know it may seem that you may never be "free" because you are serving one master or the other, but the freedom is from sin which can and will pull you down into misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment